WOOD FOR KNIFE MAKERS AND SMALL RUN CUTLERY
Our hardwoods of high density and low porosity are ideal knife handles for collector knives and small run cutlery.
Demand of hardwood for knife handles from professional and hobby knife makers has motivated us to extend our range of hardwoods, especially for scales and blocks for knife making. Individual taste being the determinant factor trade fairs is our main promotion vehicle.
Since 2009 years our company representatives have taken part to local trade fairs and guild shows in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban.
Word of mouth increased our customer base. Many knife makers are regular visitors to our saw mill where they are welcome to select their wood for knife handle that fit their tastes and technical requirements.
Our saw mill stock of dried wood is sorted by species and sizes to facilitate their selection.
Our growing business with foreign buyers is a reflection of the attractiveness of our wood species and of the talent of our saw mill manager at selecting handles with unique characters. We have exported our knife blanks to Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia and more recently to Finland.
We encourage our foreign buyers to request photographs of our unique wood for knife handle:
- Uniformly coloured wood or shaded wood,
- Wood with strong marked grain or wood with as little visible grain as possible,
- Knotted grain, kilted grain or wood free of these,
- Other requirements …….
Our saw mill manager selects personally the individual items to be as close to our customer’s wishes as possible. In this context, we encourage our foreign buyer to initially select a wide variety of species.
Our quasi permanent dry stock of knife handle blanks focuses on eight species and four dimensions namely.
- African Blackwood / Dalbergia melanoxylon
- African Olive or wild olive / Olea Europea, sub-specie Africana
- Black chacate or Small bastard mopane / Guibourtia conjugata
- Camel Thorn / Acacia erioloba,
- Leadwood / Combretum imberbe
- Mopane / Colophospermum mopane,
- Red or pink ivory / Berchimia zeyheri,
- Tambotie or African cocobolo / Spirostachys Africana.
Our permanent dry stock of knife handles focuses on eight species and four dimensions namely:
|in mm||in dm3|
|2″ x 1″ x 6″||51 x 28 x 155||0.221|
|2″ x 1″ x 5″||51 x 28 x 130||0.186|
|1.5″x 1 “x 5”||38 x 28 x 130||0.138|
|1.5″ x 1″ x 4″||38 x 28 x 105||0.112|